Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Let's Go Hiking!: Ahnu

Elsie modeling the boots for me!


Steve and I are planning a trip to Portland this spring, and since we haven't gone on vacation in a long time, we decided to get ourselves fully geared up to look like obvious out-of-town tourists with shiny new gear. First thing's first, footwear. Steve said, "let's be practical and just get hiking shoes that look like regular sneakers." I said, "um, okay" but as I perused shoe upon shoe, I came across the Ahnu Sugarpine Boot in Deep Teal. I have to admit that I bought mine from Amazon for 30% less than retail. I compared pictures and reviews on several outdoor gear sites, and here's what I learned:

ADORABLE: The boots are far cuter and stylish in person compared to any of the images I've seen online. I think the photos above capture the actual colors, which are vibrant but not blinding.

WATERPROOF: The Ahnu boots have a DWR (durable water repellent) finish, but it is only applied up to the ankle. So the boots are only water proof from the ankle down. I will post an update once I have tried them in the rain myself.

LIGHTWEIGHT: Each boot is 11.6 ounces. It really does feel like you're wearing regular sneakers

COMFORTABLE: The inside of the boot is very soft and pillow-like. I ordered a 7.5, and it seems to fit true to size. I don't have narrow or wide feet, and I don't have arch support issues. The only mild discomfort I've experienced is around the front near my shins. I've experienced this with boots in the past where I end up with sore shins. After wearing the Ahnu boots a handful of times while out running errands, my shins are fine!

QUALITY: The boots feel and look like they're made of high quality materials. I've read some reviews that said they fall apart after a month of hiking 10+ miles per day. I can't vouch for that as I would be dead if I hiked that much within a month.


UPDATE: Hiking in these boots was fantastic. I walked through mud and water without any trouble. The weather was temperate in the low 60s and overcast so I'm not sure if these boots would start feeling hot in warmer climates. I've worn the boots with thick hiking socks and regular (GAP) socks, and my feet do end up feeling the slightest bit on the warm side. Minor complaint though! I highly recommend these boots for the lightweight, sartorial hiker.

No comments:

Post a Comment